Google My Business (GMB) is Google’s current local business listing product. Former incarnations were Google+ Local and Google Places.
Google My Business allows individual businesses to have more control over their listing on Google Maps. As well as the option to manage a Google+ page for each business location, giving great local awareness and direct communication to a local community.
Current GMB Services:
- Update your business details – Editing or adding a business listing can be done on Search, Maps and Google+ from one login.
- Add store photos – Business photos from inside or even external shots can show off a location for new and potential customers. Virtual tours are also available.
- Google+ Page – Share business updates such as new product, sales or anything customers will value. This allows direct communication with a local target market.
- Reviews – Respond to and review positive or negative business reviews on the various Google properties.
- Reporting – Extra information is provided on how a user might interact with a business listing.
- Manage your information on mobile – Google My Business locations can be edited or customer reviews read through an official Android app and the iOS app
If you have more than 10 business locations and used Google Places Bulk Upload to manage listings information in the past, you’ll notice on your next login that this has been “automatically upgraded” as well.
Once all locations are uploaded using this feature individual Google+ pages are also created. However to optimise these with unique images and content this needs to be completed manually as there is no bulk upload feature currently available.
25 March 2015: Google launches a new business initiative Let’s Put Our Cities on the Map to assist business owners in completing their accurate online presence. This currently only allows for US Zip Codes.
11 June 2014: Google combined Google Places and Google+ Local Business Pages with the Google My Business product.
30 May 2012: Google Places was replaced by Google+ Local, which now integrates directly with the Google+ service to allow users to post photos and reviews of locations directly to its page on the service.
NAPtastic offers Google My Business services from setup to general maintenance of business locations